You’ve searched the net and have chosen three doulas to interview in person. Now what? It’s always good to go into these interviews with a few questions prepared. You don’t have to ask all 25 of these, as many will be covered in conversation, but perhaps highlight the ones that are deal breakers for you. For example, if your idea of a doula is someone who has had children, you may be put off by the doula who doesn’t have any.
The in-person interview is a great opportunity to see how you, your partner and your potential doula ‘click’. You and your partner want to feel listened to and respected. You want to feel safe and have a sense that she’ll have your back when necessary. You should feel relaxed around her.
Choosing a doula is often based on instinct. She may have the qualifications on paper, but if red flags are flying after you’ve met, she’s not the doula for you. And that’s OK. There are others. Continue your search until you find THE right doula for you.
So, ask away!
- Tell me why you became a doula.
- What do you most like about your job? Why?
- What do you find the most challenging Why?
- How do the nurses, doctors and midwives react to your presence?
- If your clients were to speak of you, what 3 words would they use to describe you?
- Can you give me an example of how having you as a doula really helped one of your clients during labour and birth?
- Where did you certify and what trainings did that include?
- What kind of childcare do you have in place?
- What is your philosophy about birth?
- What kind of birth experiences have you witnessed?
- How do you involve my partner?
- What labour coping techniques do you prefer?
- How do you feel about pain medication during labour?
- If you were looking for a doula at your birth, what qualities would you look for?
- How knowledgeable are you about breastfeeding?
- What do you suggest that I start doing now to prepare for labour?
- How many clients do you take per month?
- Do you have reliable back up if you cannot attend a birth?
- Can I meet or speak with your back up prior to my delivery?
- In what situations would you miss my birth?
- Can I speak with some of your former clients?
- Do you have any special packages?
- Do you have a contract outlining our agreement?
- What are your refund policies?
- How soon can we meet?
What are your deal breakers for choosing a doula? I would love to hear from you! Please leave comments below.
Wishing you a beautiful birth and babymoon,