How well do you know Doula Mika Rock?
When Sylvia invited me to write this post my first reaction was: ‘What? How can I come up with 50 things about me?’ But once I started, it was much easier than I thought.
Do we have anything in common? Comment at the end and let me know!
- I love being outdoors.
- I have an innate positive attitude towards life; when something goes wrong, I find the positive in it.
- I used to be a hiking guide.
- I’m a mother of two wonderful kids.
- I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Education.
- My favourite hot drink is herbal tea.
- You would never guess that my parents come from Sweden!
- I love reading books. At the moment I’m reading: Mindful Birthing: Training the Mind, Body, and Heart for Childbirth and Beyond, by Nancy Bardacke.
- I don’t wear high heels.
- My favourite music is from the 80s.
- I LOVE walking.
- An epsom salt bath is one of my favourite ways to get some rest, particularly after supporting a family at a birth.
- Being a mamma is one of the most important roles I have in my life.
- I’m a Yoga teacher. I specialize in hormonal and pelvic floor health through yoga.
- I’m that person that arrives early or just on time to a party – I don’t like being late.
- People say I have a calming voice.
- Breath awareness is the only practice I manage to maintain on a daily basis.
- I’m a Certified Science Teacher.
- I have had 4 dogs in my life – at the moment our family dog-sits as much as we can and we plan to find a dog that would like to join us soon.
- I worked in education for 10 years as a preschool teacher, home room teacher, and science teacher in elementary school.
- Clay sculpting is my favourite form of art.
- I’m always open to the next new adventure.
- The first time I gave birth it was an unmedicated vaginal birth. My second baby was breech (baby was positioned to come out buttocks or feet first) which became an unplanned cesarean birth. They were both positive birth experiences for me!
- I practice my friend’s ‘Love Your Body’ method of eating. You only eat when you’re hungry, and you stop eating before you’re full. And you find pleasure in every bite! Mindfulness practices are the key to this method.
- I love supporting families in the powerful and sensitive times of pregnancy, birth and parenting.
- Relationships matter a lot to me.
- I’m a Certified Shiatsu Therapist.
- I’m learning how to cross country ski to be more active outdoors in the winter.
- Oranges are one of my favourite foods.
- I believe that parenting can change the world.
- I’m a Certified Prenatal and Postnatal (Mom & Baby) Yoga teacher.
- I play ringette.
- I love giving massages – my family gets to enjoy this the most!
- I’m a winter person – lucky me, I live in Quebec. (Sylvia, I know we are different on this one!)
- I did gymnastics for 5 years and really enjoyed doing flips, but I had to stop at age 9 because of back pain.
- I LOVE good chocolate, especially the Swedish brand Marabo.
- The latest essential oil I added to my doula bag is Frankincense.
- I coach my daughter’s soccer team.
- Since 2004, I have successfully been practicing the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM), also called natural family planning or the rhythm method. It’s a natural way to predict fertile and infertile times in your cycle. It is based on body signs which change during each menstrual cycle in response to the hormonal changes. It’s been a great way for me to notice all the changes my body is constantly going through.
- One of the practicum training clinics I did when studying Shiatsu was offering Shiatsu to blind kids – it was a very moving experience.
- I have learned over the years that I rejoice in co-facilitating workshops with colleagues. I believe that when communication is clear and open everyone thrives!
- I’m a proud LLL – Lifelong Learner!
- Environmental education has been my passion since I was a teen.
- English is my third language.
- When I was a child, one of my favourite activities was climbing trees. That’s where you would find me most of the time. LOL!
- I’m learning how to knit. On Thursday evenings I attend a mending circle in my neighbourhood. There are some very experienced knitters that are graciously mentoring me. Thank you!
- Walking is where I find clarity of mind.
- My favourite colour is purple.
- Birds have always fascinated me.
- Since November 2008, I have been singing Swedish lullabies every evening at bedtime.
If you’re looking for a doula and think we’d be a good match, I’d love to meet you in person! We can go for coffee or tea, or you can come to our next Open House (they are every 3rd Wednesday of the month). It’s a great place to ask your questions and meet Rock the Cradle’s amazing team of Doulas!
p.s. We want you to #LoveYourBirthStory! Join our growing community of parents who birth and parent with confidence! You can find us on YouTube, Facebook, in our private Facebook group ‘This Motherhood Journey’, onPinterestand Instagram.