Can a doula really help you during pregnancy and childbirth? Yes.
My name is Sylvia Otvos and I offer both labour support and postpartum support to expecting moms and their families in the Montreal area. I also give group and private prenatal classes.
You may have heard that the support of a doula during childbirth can be very beneficial to mom and to baby. How beneficial? Studies have shown that the presence of a birth doula at a birth has resulted in:
- 50% reduction in the cesarean rate;
- 25% shorter labor;
- 60% reduction in epidural requests;
- 40% reduction in oxytocin use;
- 30% reduction in analgesia use;
- 40% reduction in forceps delivery.